The longest day of my life.

29 Oct

Wednesday was the looongest day of my life…to date.

On Wednesday, Jeremy and I were schedule to attend the homestudy course in Perkasie. The homestudy class is a one day, 8 hour class on parenting an adoptive child. They only hold the class one day a month and it’s mandatory to attend to continue forward with the homestudy process; i.e.. you can not meet with the social worker ’til you complete this course.

So I take a day off from work, Jeremy (who works 3rd shift) got out of work an hour early so we can hike the 2 hours to Perkasie. The class starts at 9am; we were on the road around 6am. Plenty of time in case we hit traffic or get lost.

We are trekkin. The GPS is telling me that we will arrive at 8:20am. Awesome.

With plenty of time to spare, I decide to stop at a rest stop while we’re still on the Northeast Extension of the Turnpike. I get back into the car….and the car won’t start. It’s like the battery is dead. It turns over a bit, but it just won’t start. I start to freak a little. Jeremy tells me to let the car sit for 5 minutes or so then try again. We do this and when we try to start the car again, it actually starts. Sigh of relief!

We’re trekkin’ again. We’re only 12 miles from our exit. Almost there…

My car starts to slow down. I mean, I have the gas peddle floored and my car won’t go faster than 65 miles an hour…and it’s slowing down. 58 miles an hour. 45 miles an hour. What is going on?!

Then all the lights come on…the battery light, the oil light, the engine light. What? My car starts smoking. Massive white smoke is coming from my hood. Eff! We are 2.7 miles away from our exit and my car is smoking. I totally freak out.

We call AAA, they have a tow truck coming. I call our adoption agency, of course they don’t open ’til 8:30 (it’s about 8:20 at this point), so I leave a message explaining that we’re supposed to attend their class at 9am, we’re about 15 miles away and stranded. I also call our social worker so she knows what’s going on. 

30 minutes later a tow truck comes. By the time he hooks up our car to the tow truck and we’re back on the road it’s 10 after 9am. Shit, we’re already late for our class. AND to top it off, the tow guy thinks I might have blown my motor. Awesome.

We and the car gets dropped off at Pep Boys in Quakertown. By this time the agency had called me back. They initially asked if we just wanted to reschedule the class. I think this is where I got a bit emotional. Reschedule? Are you kidding me? I took time off from work (as did Jeremy), we drove 2 hours and are only 12 miles away. My car is probably done for. I didn’t come this far only to have to do it again a month later. No way. We NEED to attend this class. They were nice enough to say that if we could make it, to still come.

Anxious to still make it to the class I asked Pep Boys if there is a cab service around, nope. And no one from Pep Boys or our agency is willing to drive us the 12 miles. Great. So, we rented a car. Of course that took another hour or so, to have someone from the car rental place pick us up from Pep Boys, take us back to their office and do the paperwork for a car rental. This was becoming a very expensive trip.

Finally. We’re on our way to the agency to attend the homestudy class. 12-ish miles. No problem. Well, our luck didn’t end there. We (along with about 20 other cars) got stuck behind a wideload vehicle going 10 miles an hour. During this time, I get a call back from Pep Boys saying that my car is shot. It needs a whole new engine. Yup, you heard me right. An engine. Apparently a tube under my hood had leaked or broke or whatever. This caused ALL the oil to leak out of my car, all over the engine. Ruining everything. Did I mention that my car is a 2002 Toyota RAV4? Not exactly brand new, but not exactly old either. ::sigh:: FML.

1130am we made it to our homestudy class. 2.5 hours late, 2 hours from home with no car. Yay. Poor Jeremy, on top of everything that happened, he was soooo tired. Working 3rd shift, this class was during his normal sleeping hours. I was emotionally exhausted, he was emotionally AND physically exhausted.

The homestudy class itself was good. There were 2 other couples there and a single woman also in the adoption process. One of the other couples is also adopting from the Philippines, so it was nice to meet another couple who was pretty much at the same spot we are in the process. Considering the circumstances of the day, Jeremy and I had stayed positive and made the best of the day.

5pm the class was over. Since we had already paid for a 24 hour car rental, we decided to drive the 2 hours home with it. Jeremy had to be at work at 10:30pm that night. With little sleep, he wasn’t looking forward to it.

Thursday morning, I had to take another day off of work and drive back to Quakertown with the rental car and my dad following me with his truck (so I would have a ride home). I had to turn in the rental, find a junk yard to pick my car up (only got $250 for my car…that just so happens to have a new transmission in it), drive the 2 hours back home and start looking for a new car. ::sigh:: And I was still emotionally drained from the day before. Jeremy and I looked at cars, but we really didn’t even know where to begin; we weren’t planning on having to buy a new/er car for another year or two. We definitely didn’t expect our finances to have a hit like this. ::sigh:: It definitely could have been worse, but someone isn’t making this easy for us.

I had brought along my camera, hoping to get photos of the beautiful Pearl S. Buck buildings, obviously that was the last thing on my mind. Nor did I think to take photos of my car smoking to share with all of you. 😛 I talked about signs in a previous post, hopefully this isn’t a sign for things to come.

Now the car search begins.


6 Responses to “The longest day of my life.”

  1. Alex October 29, 2010 at 1:46 PM #

    What a day you guys had I can see way it was the longsest day of your life. Just think you can tell your baby about how much you wanted him or her what not thing was going to keep you from missing that class . You might not see it now but this is a great story .This is a story of love you won’t see that now because your going though hell but in the end when your holding your baby in your arms you will see .

  2. Andnowlights (KMSull) October 29, 2010 at 3:31 PM #

    All I’ve got are lots of hugs and the advice of not falling in love with a car unless you can absolutely afford it. That’s an AWFUL situation to be in, but I’m glad they let your class count! Good luck!

  3. Mama Bear October 29, 2010 at 4:46 PM #

    Life gives us obstacles to test us on how much we want something. Don’t let it get you down and remember everything happens for a reason. Plus you wouldn’t want to be stranded with a broken car with a little one in the back seat Right?! :o)it all works out in the end Promise::Happy Thoughts::

  4. Breezy October 29, 2010 at 11:31 PM #

    Oh girl, that stinks! Sorry u had such a hellish day! It will be a distant memory when you are new parents 🙂

    Sending good car vibes your way!


  5. Melinda November 1, 2010 at 2:45 PM #

    Hang in there dear! You guys pulled it off even with all of the obstacles. Sending you good car vibes as you search for another!


  1. The evil step-mom. « - November 9, 2010

    […] So while they repeated this throughout the 8 hour class (well, we were only there for 5.5 hours, due to car issues), at one point they sorda made me feel like less of a parent because I am a step-mother and not a […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: